“To provide quality Home Health Care, Hospice and education to individuals and families in our communities so that they may reach their highest level of independence.”
The Franklin VNA & Hospice is a non-profit, independent Home Care agency that was incorporated in 1945. One nurse was hired to work for what was then called “Franklin Public Health Nurse”. Care provided was mostly to the underprivileged and the nurse was called “the district nurse”.
By 1960, the nurse had a helper and the office was a cubby hole in the Franklin Police Station. In 1965, the staff consisted of 2 nurses, 2 aides, a secretary and a director and the agency moved to a bigger office at Franklin Regional Hospital. In 1975, the Board of Directors authorized the purchase and remodeling of a plumbing supply building on Chestnut Street. The staff grew to 4 or 5 nurses, several home health aides and homemakers, a secretary and the director (about 15 to 20 people in all).
In 1991, as home care became more necessary because people were being discharged from hospitals sooner than they had been before, a second floor was added to the building on Chestnut Street. Nurses were now able to provide IV therapy and other high tech care at home. Staff grew to accommodate the increased need.
In 2005, the VNA received Medicare certification for Hospice. The Hospice program allows people with terminal illnesses to spend their remaining days at home among their loved ones. In its first year, the Franklin VNA Hospice Program cared for more than 30 clients and their families in Franklin, Tilton and Northfield, making over 750 home visits in the course of their care.